Saturday, December 12, 2009

gLuTeN HmMm

As weeks go this has been an interesting one for me.  Most of them are.  While I am not a person who is necessarily book smart I do study.

I used to be excellent at remembering names, these days it is a struggle, not only to remember their name but to remember what they shared with me, especially if other things are going on at the same time.  I am so grateful that they don’t mind me asking them over again.

Speaking of things I am not good at.  Spelling is and always has been one of them.  greatful is how I usually spell the word.  I just realized after writing about 20 Christmas Cards by hand through out the night that I have spelled this word wrong on each and every one of them, written by hand.  Jason isn’t home tonight to check my spelling, and I didn’t have the foresight to notice that I was again spelling something incorrectly, in fact while writing just this paragraph the spell check has yelled at me multiple times.  I

I am continually working on my spelling errors, it seems as though I get one error fixed in my brain that another pops up.  Ahh, life!  I haven’t even spoken to the questionable uses of punctuation and sentence structure..  Jason is good at all of these things.  Actually most of my friends are smart in this area.  I am so glad they tolerate me and my many imperfections!

So, this week, I gleaned a bit of information from the new Dr. Oz Show about Celiac Disease 101.  I have had some friends go on gluten free eating plans, and never questioned it or really thought much more about it than that.  In fact we had guests over to our home the other night, for a wine party.  Yes, more education!!  I will explain that later.   Our friend shared with us in advance that she not only ate a gluten free diet, but she eats this plan to keep herself healthy.  Celiac Disease is one of the things I have been learning about lately.  Well not really the disease its self but how to have things to eat for her while she is here that won’t cause her to become ill. 

So when Dr. Oz began talking about Celiac Disease and a gluten free diet, I listened.  He shared with his audience that those who either have Celiac Disease or just have a gluten sensitivity, have some things that I’ve been struggling with.  IBS.  My Doctors have tried to diagnose me with this multiple times.  I say they have tried, because each time they did, I found resolutions outside of the scope of what they recommend.  I have had frustration regarding the absorption of food. 

Iron deficiency (Anemia), Osteoporosis at an early age, yes that would be me too.  Now other things can explain these of course.  But so far I am still not resolving them to my satisfaction.  So I am going to put myself on a gluten free diet!  See where this leads me!  I am kind of excited.  I think I need to explore it for sure. 

Being already lactose intolerant, and not getting physical excessive especially the type that would help my bones stay strong, I’ve already got two strikes against me.  Although for the amount of milk products and meat that I consumed as a child and the vitamins the ADULT vitamins my wonderful mother insisted I take.  I always seemed to be iron deficient.  I don’t know about the calcium, because I was never shared with if that was good or bad, don’t recall when they started testing for that.  So… mystery ensues.

So while I have probably killed this subject for now, I can’t help but wonder who else might be helped if they would just eliminate gluten from their diet.  I am sure hoping it is me!  I love bread, but I hate feeling like crap!

Since the accident I have become even more motivated in this area.  I gave up soda almost 10 years ago, and next milk and ice cream.  So I guess this is the next issue I guess. 

At this point with my body, I am willing to do what it takes to get back in the game.  I am not giving up, I will take things step by step and see where this path leads!  Stay tuned! 

By the way the food I ended up making for the party turned out wonderful!  I had rave reviews!  I love that, this little girl who learned to cook from her mom but didn’t ever get to show her mom that between her and PBS cooking shows, I’ve turned into quite the dump cook!  I can follow a recipe, ONCE, but then the experimentation begins!

We had invited a friend of ours to share her skills as a wine consultant with a group of our friends.  She brought some choices of wine, shared a bit about each and we tasted them with different foods to see what we liked best.  I’ll tell you more about this later.  We all had a great time, and this was one of the rare moments we have opened our home to a group of our friends. 

I’d love to do it more often, but Jason is more reserved.  I love having people over.  We are so opposite in so many ways.  He is such a good sport.  As he is going to be going pretty much gluten free too…  Love you honey!

Tonight I watched Charlie Rose, he had on Tom Ford this was a really great interview!  I think I will be looking to see the movie that he made The Single Man after hearing them talk about it.  I think I am going to identify with it.  Maybe it will help me do some more resolving of my past and help me move forward to the future.

Blessings and Peace

No comments: