Saturday, October 30, 2010

Do YoU LoVe YoUr iMAgE??

I have recently mentioned that I am planning to be an artist.  I am still fiddling with what type of artist I will be.  Right now my main focus is on photography with a secondary focus on water color painting. 

In the process of exploring the photography option, I want to take pictures of people.  All sorts of people.  People from differing backgrounds, people with different unique features.  People who transcend the bodies that carry their souls around.  I want to capture their soul in pictures.  I want the light of their life to shine brightly.

One barrier to this can be a person’s level of comfort with their own body.  I am not talking about taking nude pictures.  I am just speaking about the generalities of people loving their body as it is.  For loving themselves for who they are.  I want to help them see how truly beautiful they are even if they don’t fit the stereotype for beauty.  Especially if they don’t fit in the box.  I love capturing out of the box people. 

So I had written this article a while ago.  I have been hanging on to it, wondering if I should share these words with my prospective models.  I thought I’d post it here to see if anyone thought it would be offensive, or if something strikes a nerve.  Which is not what I am going for.

 

Soul Filled Captures

I want to take this opportunity to share some very personal things about myself with you, in hopes that you will love yourself even more than you already do.  I have insecurities just like you. I don’t like my raccoon eyes, or my skin that has acne scars on it… It never fails a pimple or two will show up for anything I do in my life that is important. Why am I sharing this? Everyone does not like something about themselves. Most of us are less than thrilled about sharing what those things are with others. I don’t run around sharing that my rear end is flatter than I’d like it to be. Or that I have flabby arms. =D.

I just want you to know that your secrets are safe. I promise not to publish the list of things that you dislike of yourself. Now I do realize that I am a small person, and many people would “kill” for my body. It however is what I look at each day and then the human nature inside of me starts comparing my arms to Michelle Obama’s arms, and my rear end to J Lo, you get the picture...

I do things to conceal, enhance, or cover different parts of my body. I am not immune. Comparing yourself to others is a dangerous thing. I want you to know that you are perfect just as you are we are told this from a very young age.  Truly this is so, I am also perfect just as I am. Acceptance is what will makes me happy. Fixing what you think is currently wrong with what you look like is really only 10% of the problem. After you got everything on your list fixed, you’d soon have another list started.  Your attitude about yourself makes up the the other 90%.

All of this being said, let us know what you dislike about your body, please also let me know what you LOVE about your body as well. What are your favorite features? What types of shots are your favorites?

We would love to focus on your favorites while capturing your image. It is my goal to ask you to pose in ways that draws the least attention to your dislikes and show off your LOVES.  We will also work to “fix” your image in processing. Will we make you look like a different person? NO. Will we do what we can to make the things on your dislike list less noticeable? We will also work to make the things you LOVE more noticeable.

Oddly enough, the list of dislikes was much shorter when I had a size 16 body. Weird, I know. Insecurities never disappear, if someone share that they think they look perfect this does not mean they wouldn’t like to change things about themselves if they could.  Why not think that you look perfect?  What harm is this going to cause you?  I think my body is perfect. I actually LOVED my body the most when I was the largest. I remember standing in front of the mirror in my birthday suit; I had been picking myself apart. I stood there and realized what I was doing to myself. I changed my thinking. Who wants to go through life never being happy with yourself?

Choosing to love your body, choosing to love who you are and what you look like is a freeing decision. Before your photo shoot I encourage you to stand in front of the mirror and have that conversation with yourself. When it comes time for you to view your images that we have taken of you do it again.  In fact do it often!  Fall in love with yourself. Doing this does not prevent you from hiding, fixing, or disguising. What it will do is free you from the chains of self loathing, and give you more energy to focus on being the best you that you can be!

If you’ve got it flaunt it baby! There is nothing more flattering, sexy, or captivating than letting your soul shine. So make your list, check it twice, and send your insecurities out the window. Some one out there is jealous of the things you are most insecure about in yourself.

I would also like you to check out a couple of blogs that I follow. Why do I follow their blogs? Because I think they are some of the most beautiful people in the world. Their souls transcend infinity.

http://davehings/burger.blogspot.com/ Dave is a plus sized man who is in love with a man and gets around via wheelchair. Dave has insight, foresight, acknowledges hindsight, and observes the most educating experiences. He has an innate ability to transcend the raging ignorance of those who live with a disability he writes soul filled words.  Dave is wisdom filled.

http://nieniedialogues.blogspot.com/ Stephanie and her husband Mr. Nielson both survived a plane crash they both have burn scars all over their bodies. Their journey is not only one of disfigurement, but of immense physical pain. They lead the most glory filled life with their children. They are strength filled.

http://www.katherinewolf.info/ Katherine is a model who had a very serious stroke after giving birth to her child. She now is rebuilding her life and her body along with her husband and son. She is faith filled.

http://carlyfindlay.blogspot.com/ Carla defies belief. She advocates for acceptance, she exemplifies how to love your self. She stylishly presents herself, emotionally steadies herself, and shares a message of hope. She is power filled.

These people know what it is like to bring your self to the table. When you think of your faults, add these people to your list of comparables. You are strong and you are exceptionally beautiful! Love yourself!

Here is to capturing your soul!

Let it shine!

 

I appreciate your opinions,

Pink Doberman 

1 comment:

Carly Findlay said...

Hello
Thank you so much for the kind words you wrote about me. I'm bookmarking your blog and returning to read it soon.